World

Greta Thunberg rejects accusations of antisemitism as she embarks on second flotilla to Gaza

Greta Thunberg rejects accusations of antisemitism as she embarks on second flotilla to Gaza

Greta Thunberg has rejected accusations of antisemitism as she embarks on her second flotilla to Gaza.

The 22-year-old and other activists are setting sail on the largest flotilla to Gaza on Sunday, despite having been detained by Israeli forces and deported when they approached on a British-flagged yacht in June.

Israel later accused the group of activists of being antisemitic – an accusation Thunberg told Sky News’ Europe correspondent Siobhan Robbins she rejects.

“It is not antisemitic to say that we should not be bombing people, that one should not be living in occupation, that everyone should have the right to live in freedom and dignity, no matter who you are,” she said.

Image:
Greta Thunberg is embarking on a flotilla to Gaza again

In June, Thunberg and others were detained by the IDF on board a ship to Gaza
Image:
In June, Thunberg and others were detained by the IDF on board a ship to Gaza

Before the dozens of boats carrying aid embarks from Spain, the activists called on governments to pressure Israel to allow their flotilla through the naval blockade.

Israel imposed the blockade on Gaza after Hamas took control of the coastal enclave in 2007 and has blocked numerous attempts to reach Gaza since, including a vessel in 2010 by its special forces in which at least nine Turkish activists were killed.

But Thunberg brushed concerns about the dangers of the trip aside, saying she was instead worried about the “silence of the world” in light of what is happening in Gaza.

“I’m terrified to see that we seem to have lost all the humanity that we have, and there seems to be no compassion left in the world amongst the vast majority of people who are able to sit on the couch and watch the genocide unfold that I am terrified for,” she added.

The new, bigger flotilla, will set off from Spain on Sunday
Image:
The new, bigger flotilla, will set off from Spain on Sunday

Greta Thunberg brushed concerns about the dangers of the trip aside
Image:
Greta Thunberg brushed concerns about the dangers of the trip aside

Israel has repeatedly denied claims of genocide and previously described the first ship, Madleen, as “the selfie yacht”, dismissing the aid ship as a propaganda stunt in support of Hamas.

In a statement to Sky News, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said: “The IDF enforces the security naval blockade on the Gaza Strip and is prepared for a wide range of scenarios, which it will act upon in accordance with the directives of the political echelon.”

Thunberg said: “It’s important that by doing so, by continuing this blockade, Israel is violating international law. And what we are trying to do is to use our rights to sail on international waters and to deliver humanitarian aid, which Israel is not allowed to block from coming in.”

Greta Thunberg aboard the Madleen on 2 June. Pic: Freedom Flotilla Coalition/Reuters
Image:
Greta Thunberg aboard the Madleen on 2 June. Pic: Freedom Flotilla Coalition/Reuters

The Madleen was intercepted before reaching Gaza
Image:
The Madleen was intercepted before reaching Gaza

The naval blockade has remained in place through conflicts, including the current war, which began when Hamas fighters attacked southern Israel on 7 October 2023, killing more than 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages.

Israel’s retaliatory offensive against Hamas has since killed almost 63,000 Palestinians, according to the Hamas-run Gaza health ministry, while part of the Strip is suffering from famine, according to a global hunger monitor – something Israel denies.

In March, Israel also sealed off Gaza by land, not letting in supplies for three months, claiming Hamas was diverting aid.

Palestinians wait to receive food from a charity kitchen. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Palestinians wait to receive food from a charity kitchen. Pic: Reuters

Asked what would be her message to Hamas, which is still holding 48 hostages in Gaza, around 20 of whom Israel still believes to be alive, Thunberg said she does “not stand behind killing civilians”.

“But we translate that into reality and we’re seeing how many hundreds of thousands of people are dying in Gaza now, how many hundreds of thousands of people have been deprived [of] their dignity and justice and freedom by Israel,” she added.

Sky News' Europe correspondent Siobhan Robbins interviewed Greta Thunberg in Spain
Image:
Sky News’ Europe correspondent Siobhan Robbins interviewed Greta Thunberg in Spain

The IDF said in its statement: “Israel allows and facilitates the entry of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip. Since the beginning of the war, over two million tons of aid have been delivered to Gaza – approximately one ton of aid per person on average.

“The last few months 9,000 aid trucks have entered through land crossings, as publicly reported.

“In recent weeks, approximately 300 aid trucks have entered daily, primarily carrying food, medical supplies, hygiene products, and other essential items according to needs identified by international organisations and the UN. Israel does not impose quantitative limits on aid trucks entering Gaza.

“Several significant measures have been implemented to expand aid volume and facilitate collection by the UN and international organisations. Recent data on aid deliveries demonstrates Israel’s commitment to facilitating humanitarian assistance to Gaza.”

Read more from Sky News:
US blocks Palestinian president from UN meeting
Israel’s Gaza City plan condemned by EU ministers

Thunberg, who is among hundreds of people from 44 countries on the flotilla, hopes their mission will bring symbolic aid and help open up a humanitarian corridor to deliver more aid.

She said the activists’ goal is to send “hope and solidarity to the people of Gaza, showing a clear signal that the world has not forgotten about you”.