Primary school evacuated after ‘gas explosion’ in nearby house

Primary school evacuated after 'gas explosion' in nearby house

A primary school has been evacuated after a suspected gas explosion at a nearby house in Greater Manchester.

Tamoor Tariq, a local councillor, said staff and children had fled St Luke’s Church of England Primary School following the blast in the Fishpool area of Bury.

Police said a woman in her 70s had been taken to hospital with “serious injuries”.

In a statement posted on X just after 12pm, Mr Tariq said: “Heartbreaking to share there has been a gas explosion in the last few minutes right across from my house.

“I understand everyone has been taken into a place of safety and emergency services are doing all possible to deal with this awful situation.”

He added in a later update that no one had died, according to officials at the scene.

“The house directly affected is in an extremely bad state following the explosion [and] the house was destroyed by the strong flames from the fire,” he added.

“Both neighbouring properties have been damaged too.”

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said multiple crews had been dispatched to the scene.

A spokesperson added: “Residents in the area are advised to keep windows and doors closed and avoid the scene while crews carry out their work.”

Bury Council said its officials were aware of the incident and also urged those living nearby to keep their windows closed.

Read more from Sky News:
Prince Harry loses legal case over security downgrade

Biden wins Michigan primary but faces voter backlash
Kellogg’s boss says poor people should eat cereal for dinner

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “Emergency services are currently responding to reports of an explosion at a property on Nelson Street in the Fishpool area of Bury.

“At this stage, a woman in her 70s has been taken to hospital with serious injuries. A 200m cordon is in place around the property and neighbouring homes.

“Local residents and the community will be informed if they need to take any further action.”

Mr Tariq said the school’s electricity supply had been affected by the blast and subsequent fire, and that all parents had been informed.

The school is expected to remain closed for the rest of the day.

There have been no reports of any other people being injured.