Tiger Woods driving at ‘excessive speed’ at time of car crash, police say

Tiger Woods was driving at “excessive speed” when he crashed his car in Los Angeles in February, police have said.

The golfer‘s vehicle was travelling at upwards of 87mph in a 45mph zone, according to the LA county sheriff’s office.

He was driving at 75mph when he careered into a tree, having possibly hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

Tiger Woods car crash. Pic: AP
The aftermath of Tiger Woods’ car crash. Pic: AP

The police did not seek a warrant for a blood sample from the sportsman, nor did they seek access to his phone.

The data recorder from Woods’ vehicle – a 2021 Genesis GV80 SUV – was examined, however.

After the golfer crashed his SUV just outside LA in February, he told officers he did not remember driving, let alone how the crash occurred.

Woods had struck a raised median strip in the early hours of the morning, crossing through two oncoming lanes, and uprooted a tree.

More from Tiger Woods

No traffic citations have been issued, and the announcement by the sheriff’s office on Wednesday was made with permission from Woods.

This is the third time that the 45-year-old has been investigated for a traffic incident.

Police officers look over the damaged car. Pic: AP
Police officers look over the damaged car. Pic: AP

When the incident happened on 23 February, Woods was recovering from back surgery which had taken place two months earlier.

He was in LA to host his PGA tournament, the Genesis Invitational at Riviera Country Club.

The car he was driving had been loaned to him by the competition.

Woods is in Florida and is recovering from multiple surgeries, as he had shattered the tibia and fibula bones in his lower right leg in multiple locations.

A metal rod has been inserted into his tibia, with injuries to the bones in his foot and ankle needing screws and pins.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Tiger Woods ‘transformed the game of golf’

Northern Irish golfer Rory McIlroy visited Woods on 21 March.

McIlroy said: “Spent a couple hours with him, which was nice. It was good to see him.”

He added: “It was good to see him in decent spirits. When you hear of these things and you look at the car and you see the crash, you think he’s going to be in a hospital bed for six months.

“But he was actually doing better than that.”